- May 18 Diocesan Workshop--Lost in Mis-Translation. As we learn to be better communicators of our faith in this year of “Cubits: Found in Translation,” we must continue our deep listening of the scriptures and learn how to share their powerful story of salvation both accurately and comprehensibly. Dr. Joel M Hoffman, Hebrew and Biblical scholar, is known for his “fresh insights and interpretations about the religious life in the 21st century.” See more Hoffman info at his website: http://www.lashon.net, blog: http://www.GodDidntSayThat.com and video: http://www.ExploringTheBibleVideos.org St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, 1071 Pajaro St., Salinas. 9:30-coffee and gathering, 10 am to 3 pm-program, lunch provided. $25 registration fee; please register at www.edecr.org by May 15. (If you need financial assistance, please contact Wilma.) For childcare, please contact Mary Beth Powell at Marybeth@edecr.org no later than May 11. To carpool from St. Jude’s at 8:30 am, contact Linda Morris.
- Relicensing Training for Eucharistic Ministers (EM’s) Monday, May 20 – St. Andrew’s, Saratoga, 7-8:30 PM. Training is for those EM’s who have been previously trained EM’s should renew their licenses every 3 years.
- The Sierra Service Project has scheduled the summer Junior High and High School trips for 2013. Junior High is July 6th-12th in Susanville, CA. Senior High trip is July 14th-20th in Stockton, CA. There is space for 8 youth, 2 counselors for the middle school trip and 15 youth, 3 counselors for the high school trip. See Parish Hall bulletin board or contact email@example.com for an application. These trips fill up fast so please email Leann to check if there are still openings. $460 per participant per week includes meals, lodging, building materials, transportation from El Camino Real to the site and a t-shirt but does not include meals en route. Mail the application, with a check for $260, payable to Diocese of El Camino Real as soon as possible to: Diocese of ECR, P.O. Box 1903, Monterey, CA 93942 ATTN: Jo Ann. The final payment of $200 is due by May 15th. Needs-based scholarship support for youth and adults is available from St. Jude's; please contact Jeffrey Pugh of the Children, Youth, and Family Ministry Committee to find out more about scholarships.
- Buddhist and Christian Meditation: Living and Breathing on a Common Path: July 21-26, 2013, at St. Francis Retreat Center, San Juan Bautista, offered by the Pacific Center for Spiritual Formation (PCSF). This 5-day silent meditation retreat offers participants an opportunity to experience and integrate Buddhist and Christian contemplative practices through brief instruction, extended periods of silent practice and generous time for unstructured quiet and solitude. PCSF is committed to making it possible for all who wish to attend to do so, regardless of ability to pay. Please find more information and a link to the registration form at http://www.pacificcentersf.org/retreats-and-events#buddhist-and-christian-meditation.
- Camp Saint Andrew’s, the camp of the Diocese of El Camino Real, will be Sunday, July 28—Saturday August 3, 2013. Registration is open: www.campsaintandrews.com. For questions and/or information about camperships, please call: Sue Ramar 408-568-8025 or 408-354-7684 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Good News Along the King’s Highway is the weekly format for diocesan news and to register for events and details about all of the above and much more can be found there. Go to http://www.edecr.org/subscription_detail.php?si=3&page=1 to read current issue, link to past issues and to subscribe to get in your Friday email. Please send news/photos about parish events to Mary Beth Powell at MaryBeth@edecr.org.
- For more diocesan or deanery information, contact Linda Morris, St. Jude’s Diocesan Communications Liaison, at email@example.com or 408-376-0593. St. Jude’s website page for Diocesan and Episcopal news is at http://saintjudes.org/beyond-saint-judes.
Whoever you are, wherever you are on your journey of faith, you are welcome here.